What a busy weekend! I’ve been at the Blogalicious blogging conference and having a great time! I was tempted to not join #SundaySupper this week because of how busy I knew this week would be, but the theme was SO easy, I couldn’t pass it up!
This week’s theme is “5 Ingredients or Less”, hosted by Amber of Mama’s Blissful Bites (which just so happens to have one of the most fun blog headers!) My contribution to the 5 Ingredients or Less #SundaySupper is Homemade Instant Oatmeal.
One of my favorite breakfasts is oatmeal, which I make all sorts of different ways. But, truth be told…the most common way I have it is a pre-made packet that comes from a box. But I’m trying to change that because I’m sure I could make it cheaper, plus have great control over ingredients such as sodium and sugar.
This is the recipe below that I use. You’ll notice it’s very basic and I purposely keep it that way so that each member of our family can add their own fruit, nuts, etc
To make Homemade Instant Oatmeal, the first step is to place 6 cups of old-fashioned rolled oat on a baking sheet. You place this in a 300 degree F oven to lightly toast them.
After toasting, place 4 cups of the oats, the brown sugar, and the salt in your food processor.
You process them with brown sugar and salt until everything is a rough powder.
The mixture, plus the remaining oats, is added to a storage container of your choice. I give it a label such as the one you see below.
To prepare, you mix 1/2 cup of oats with 1 to 1 /2 cups of boiling water. Cover with a plate and allow to sit for about 5 minutes. Then stir and serve.
NOTE: I generally always need more than 1 cup of water for the 1/2 cup of oats. But, in our house, we prefer to start with 1 cup boiling water to 1/2 cup of the oats and, if necessary, thin it out with a bit more hot water.
Top with fruit or nuts, if you like. I topped mine with a bit of dried cranberries.Print
Source: The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making — a great cookbook!
Want more 5 Ingredient or Less recipes? Check out this list!
Breakfast, Starters, Butters and Jams:
- Pa Jun or Korean Scallion Pancakes – Kimchi Mom
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal – Home Cooking Memories
- GlutenFree Apricot Bacon Onion and Cheese Spread or Dip – Cooking Underwriter
- Caprese Bites – My Catholic Kitchen
- So Simple Pizza Puffs – Hip Foodie Mom
- Toast Topper #11: Allspice Peach Butter – What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Balsamic Jam – The Messy Baker Blog
- Broccoli and Feta Frittata – Kwistin’s Favorites
- Fresh Basil and Tomato Pasta – I Run For Wine
- Gulasch – Galactosemia in PDX
- Spaghetti with Kale and Sausage – Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Appley Kielbasa – The Meltaways
- Rich and Cheesy Shrimp-Stuffed Baked Potatoes – The Spruce Eats
- Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches – Supper for a Steal
- Sun Dried Tomato and Sausage Pasta – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Chipotle Honey Lime Pork Tenderloin – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Roasted Shrimp With Chili-Lime Sauce – Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Noodles – In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinated Flank – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Beef Tenderloin with Stilton Pecan Butter – Noshing With The Nolands
- Creamy Ham Linguine – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Pesto, Tomato & Feta Pizza – Momma’s Meals
- Quick Black Bean Burritos – Diabetic Foodie
- Lumachine with Fresh Parmesan and Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Stuffed Shells – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Potato Kugel – From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Garlic Butter Fried Rice – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Goat Cheese Alfredo – Family Foodie
- Roasted Moroccan Rack of Lamb – Maroc Mama
- Baked Sweet Potato with Maple-Jalapeno – Comfy Cuisine
- Freezable Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwiches – Big Bear’s Wife
- Grilled Polenta Cakes – Lovely Pantry
- Nutella Ice Cream – Shockingly Delicious
- Mint Ice Cream with Andes and Junior Mints – My Casual Pantry
- Grilled Mango Parfait with Greek Yogurt & Silvered Almonds – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Honey Macaroons – Pippis In the Kitchen Again
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt – Damn Delicious
- Homemade Caramel Sauce – Chocolate Moosey
- Easy Chocolate Chilli Fudge – Soni’s Food for Thought
- White-Chocolate Raspberry Puff Pastry Doughnuts – The Weekend Gourmet
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars – In The Kitchen With KP
- Chocolate-Caramel Ice Cream – Basic N Delicious
- Pumpkin and Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake – Baker Street
- Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn – Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Five Most Food Friendly Wines – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm(Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite 5 Ingredient Recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!