My husband’s favorite summer salad is Spaghetti Salad. I usually forget about this salad as our usual summer salad go-to’s are macaroni salad and potato salad, but when I was planning our big Father’s Day BBQ, I was sure to put this on the menu for him and he loved me extra that day because of it.
I know I say this quite often, but this recipe is extremely flexible. It’s really easy to make and only contains 5 ingredients.
- If you don’t like bell peppers, you can substitute something else.
- You can add in any other vegetables that you have on hand.
- My recipe will tell you to use 8 ounces of Italian dressing, but don’t feel confined to that — you more or less according to your preference. I usually buy the 16 oz bottle and use about half of it in this salad, but I keep the extra in case I feel I need to add more. You can use regular Italian dressing, flavor variations of regular Italian, light versions, fat free, whatever you like.
- Use whatever type of spaghetti you like
One thing I don’t consider flexible in this recipe is the use of McCormick Salad Supreme. I swear by it for this recipe. Yes, I’ve used other “salad” seasonings (even cheapy dollar store ones), but this is the one we prefer. Although, feel free to use more or less.
I’ve seen many versions of this recipe around, but this is how we make it (which is how my mom made it):Print
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 bell pepper (we use green, but you could use red or yellow, if you prefer, seeded & finely chopped)
- 1 small can chopped black olives
- 8 ounces Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup McCormick Salad Supreme seasoning
- Break pasta in half and cook pasta according to package directions. When finished cooking and the hot water has been drained, immediately cool down the pasta while still in the strainer by letting cold water run over it. When pasta is complete cooled, drain off all water and transfer to a large size bowl.
- Add chopped bell pepper, chopped black olives, and dressing to the spaghetti and toss everything together to combine. Sprinkle McCormick Salad Supreme over the salad and toss to combine with the spaghetti, bell peppers, and olives.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.