Black Bean French Bread Pizzas are an easy-to-make mexican-style pizza that includes all the ingredients you usually find in burritos.
When I was first married,over 20 years ago, I wasted a lot of food. I cooked too much food for dinner and then I had no idea what to do with the leftovers, other than having them exactly the same way the next day. There is only a few recipes I make that I actually enjoy reheated the next day, so that makes for lots of waste.
In our house, we love having burritos for dinner. One of our favorite fillings for our burritos is the black beans I make. After having burritos for dinner, the black beans are so delicious in a mexican-style pizza! I can even use the leftover cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, and olives — all things used in our burritos — to make our yummy pizzas.
Of course, to make french bread pizzas, you will need french bread. I decided this recipe was perfect for Ecce Panis French Demi Baguettes — an all natural, artisan style bread that you bake at home. I had tried Ecce Panis one other time when it was on a “day old” markdown rack and loved the texture and taste — plus the wonderful aroma as it baked. I picked up this bread at Walmart – you can see all the photos from my shopping trip here.
One of the first steps for making my Black Bean French Bread Pizzas is the black beans. Now, for us, I already had a food storage container of them in my refrigerator because they were leftover from a dinner two nights before. If you have leftover refried beans, you can use those, or you can make a batch of my black beans (recipe at the end of this post) and use them. But save yourself some time! Make the black beans for your burritos, like I did, and then save the leftovers for your pizzas…two meals with minimal work.
Take your Ecce Panis French Demi Baguettes and remove them from the bag. Beautiful bread, huh?
Carefully cut your baguettes in half lengthwise. Even though these haven’t went into the oven yet, the bread smells delicious!
Gather your leftover burrito ingredients. For me, that means leftover black beans, shredded Mexican cheese blend, and cilantro. I even had an extra avocado, since I bought two for our burritos.
You’ll also want some leftover tomato and sliced olives.
With a spoon, spread the top of the Ecce Panis bread with your black beans.
Top the black beans with shredded cheese, and then the sliced tomatoes, sliced olives, and chopped cilantro. After adding the tomatoes, olives, and cilantro, I always give a extra little sprinkle of cheese to keep all my toppings in place after baking.
Place your french bread pizzas on a baking sheet and put them into the oven. I use the same temperature recommend for baking the Ecce Panis bread, which is 375 degrees F. Bake until the cheese is melted and starting to brown (for me, this was about 10 minutes).
Resist the urge to bite into these immediately and allow them to cool slightly — we don’t want any hot cheese accidents! To serve, cut each pizza into halves (or thirds, if you prefer) and top with a bit of avocado. So good!
Of course, this is just one delicious way to make pizza with leftovers and Ecce Panis French Demi Baguettes. You can use lots of other dinner leftovers to make your own pizza.
Here’s some other ideas:
- Hawaiian Pizza: Top Ecce Panis with traditional pizza sauce, mozzerella cheese, leftover ham (from your #EasterMeals ) cut into bite-sized pieces, and pineapple chunks.
- BBQ Chicken Pizza: Spread Ecce Panis with barbecue sauce and top with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped leftover barbecue chicken.
- Vegetable Pizza: Spread leftover ricotta or pizza sauce on top of the Ecce Panis baguette. Sprinkle with cheese and assorted leftover vegetables, like bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, etc.
- Nacho Pizza: Using leftover nacho sauce, spread it on the Ecce Panis bread and top with shredded cheddar cheese and sliced jalapenos.
- 1 package Ecce Panis French Demi Baguettes
- Brandie's Black Beans (leftover from burrito night, see recipe below)
- Shedded Mexican Blend Cheese
- Sliced Roma Tomatoes
- Sliced Olives
- Chopped Cilantro
- Avocado slices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove Ecce Panis French Demi Baguettes from the bag and cut in half lengthwise.
- Spread leftover black beans on top of each baguette half.
- Top with shredded cheese, tomatoes, olives, and cilantro.
- Bake in oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and just starting to brown.
- Allow to cool slightly and cut each pizza in half or in thirds. Top with avocado slices and serve.
- 2 cans black beans (15 oz each)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (use more or less depending on your tastes)
- 2 teaspoons finely minced jalapeno (optional)
- Drain most of liquid from black bean and set aside (do not discard). Place beans in a medium sized pot and begin heating on low.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the beans and stir to combine. Mash beans.
- Cook over low heat for approximately 10 minutes, stirring frequently. If needed, add some of the reserved liquid back into the beans if they begin to dry out too much.
What about you? Have you ever made pizza with dinner leftovers? I’d love to hear your ideas!
Disclosure: This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. #cbias All opinion and thoughts are 100% my own.