Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Quinoa and Kale are a great Autumn side dish, stuffed full of flavor!
This post brought to you by P.F. Chang’s. All opinions are 100% mine.
Autumn is my favorite foodie season. I’m a fan of nearly all the foods the season has to offer and with that, I have started to enjoy cooking seasonally too. I didn’t always pay attention to such things, but now that I do, I find that it helps me to enjoy the season even more.
To celebrate fall, P.F. Chang’s is also holding a fun recipe contest called The Goodness of Fall Contest, where your entry is creating your own dish using at least 3 of the seasonal ingredients from their Fall Seasonal Menu.
Challenge accepted! The seasonal dish I’ve created for the content are Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Quinoa and Kale, which I’m going to share with you today. It uses 3 of the P.F. Chang’s seasonal ingredients: Red Quinoa, Kale, and Candied Walnuts.
It starts with two sweet potatoes that you wash well and bake in the oven until tender. The potatoes are cut in half length-wise and the pulp is scooped out and placed in a bowl. The skins are set aside for later.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, you will cook your quinoa. You will also saute your kale, until it is wilted and just beginning to brown or dry out on the edges.
The sweet potato pulp is mashed up and mixed with a bit of butter, 1/2 cup cooked red quinoa, the kale, 1/4 cup chopped candied walnuts, and some blue cheese crumbles. Finally, it’s seasoned to taste with salt.
All of this is placed back into the sweet potato skins, and they are topped with a bit more walnuts and blue cheese crumbles. Then they are baked in the oven until hot and lightly browned.
Here’s the full recipe, ready for you to print or save to your ZipList:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped kale (stems removed), well packed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup cooked red quinoa
- ¼ cup roughly chopped candied walnuts, plus more for garnish
- 2-3 ounces blue cheese crumbles, divided
- Salt, to taste
- Wash sweet potatoes well, pierce skin several times with the tines of a fork or the tip of a knife (keep cuts very small). Baked on a foil-lined baking sheet in a 400 degree F oven for about 45 minutes or until tender.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil in skillet and cook kale until wilted and edges are just beginning to brown or dry out. Remove from heat.
- When sweet potatoes are tender, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out sweet potato flesh from skins and place in a bowl - set skins aside, you will be refilling them later.
- Mash the sweet potato that is in the bowl with a fork or potato masher. Add butter, stirring until melted and combined. Gently stir in the kale and quinoa. When ingredients are combine, stir in the walnuts and about 2 ounces of blue cheese crumbles. Season to taste with salt.
- Refill potato skins with mixture. Garnish with a sprinkle of candied walnuts and blue cheese crumbles. Return to oven and bake until sweet potatoes are hot and top is beginning to brown.
I’m sure all this is making you very hungry, so I encourage you to hurry in to P.F. Chang’s to experience the Fall Seasonal Menu. After you submit your recipe for the contest, you’ll also be happy to see that they have a printable $10 off $40 special offer. Don’t miss it!