Need a fast dinner that’s healthy too? You can have this 20-Minute Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner recipe ready in no time!
This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Cooking Light and Real Simple. This post contains affiliate links which help to support the work on this blog.
Lately, I’ve been pretty horrible at menu planning. I really don’t know why, because I always feel better and more organized when I have a weekly menu plan, but I’ve been hit and miss with them for a while now. The worst part of my lack of menu planning is that we’ve been going through the drive-thru and getting take-out WAY too much. I’m okay with it happening occasionally, but weekly? That doesn’t make me happy.
Last week, it was getting late in the day and I had to pick up a few things at Target. And I had no dinner planned. As soon as I got in the store, I grabbed two of my favorite magazines — both of which have easy dinner ideas.
One was Cooking Light magazine….
And the other was Real Simple magazine….
As I did my shopping, I started looking through the magazines for an easy and healthy dinner idea. My goal was to find something that could be made in 30 minutes or less, plus something that I could buy all the ingredients for our Target (which is a non-Super Target because we don’t have Super Target’s in Nevada).
With just a few glances through the magazine, I was able to find a recipe that looked simple, sounded delicious, was healthy, and was something that I could completely buy at Target. I decided on 20-minute Chicken and Rice Skillet dinner recipe, which I found on page 34 of Cooking Light’s April Issue. It’s a VERY easy recipe, healthy, AND it’s all made in one skillet so there is less to wash. Simply cook bite-sized chicken thigh pieces and then add chopped red bell pepper and instant rice.
You’ll also add broccoli florets and when the recipe is complete, you top with shaved Parmesan cheese. My kids loved it and even said — while they were eating it — that we should have it again.
If they request something for dinner again, before that dinner is even over, then you know it must have been a hit! And this turned out to be a much healthier meal than what I would have picked up in the drive thru.
20-Minute Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1¼ pounds)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1½ cups instant brown rice
- 1½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cup broccoli florets
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved (about ½ cup)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan, swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper, rice, water, pepper and salt. Stir together.
- Add broccoli to top of chicken and rice without stirring; cover and allow to sit for about 2 minutes. Stir broccoli into chicken/rice mixture. Continue to cook until rice is fully cooked and broccoli is tender-crisp. Remove from heat, Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.