I’ve been making and giving food gifts from the kitchen for years. When David and I were first married, I did so mostly because it was frugal. We didn’t have much money for buying gifts for extended family and friends, so I would give gifts that I could bake – breads, cookies, candies — even savory items from time to time. Making a loaf of banana bread didn’t cost much, but it always seem to make people happy.
This week for #SundaySupper, our theme is Gifts from the Kitchen, hosted by Susan of The Wimpy Vegetarian.
My contribution is Orange Spiced Roasted Chickpeas. They are chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) which are roasted in the oven until crispy. They are tossed with orange marmalade, which has been mixed with some cinnamon and nutmeg. Then, they are popped back in the oven for finishing. The end result is a crispy, crunchy, orange flavored snack.
For gift giving, put them in a reusable container or a mason jar. I put mine in a mason jar, added a handwritten tag and some ribbon. Super easy. Two cans of chickpeas are enough to fill a pint sized jar. (my tag is a Martha Stewart ElastiNote tags from Staples…love ’em)Print
Orange Spiced Roasted Chickpeas
Gifts from the Kitchen: Orange Spiced Roasted Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- 2 ounce cans chickpeas or garbanzo beans (15.5 each)
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cooking Spray
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and lay out on a kitchen towel or paper towel to dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Place chickpeas on baking sheet in a single layer. If chickpeas have any skins are loose, discard them. Spray tops of chickpeas with cooking spray. Roast chickpeas for 15 minutes. Stir & move them around on the sheet and return to oven for another 15 minutes of baking, or until beginning to brown and crunchy. Remove from oven.
- In a bowl, combine marmalade, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Spoon warm, roasted chickpeas into the marmalade mixture. Gently coat chickpeas with mixture. When all chickpeas have been coated, spread onto baking sheet in a single layer. Return to oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Break up chickpea clusters and loosen any chickpeas from the baking sheet with a spatula. Allow to cool completely. Store in airtight container.
–If the orange marmalade you use is very thick, you may wish to microwave it for 20-30 seconds to thin it out, before adding the spices so that it’s easier to incorporate all the spices. The marmalade I used isn’t very thick, so I didn’t have to heat my marmalade.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: 5 ingredients,
Be sure to check out all the other contributions to the Gifts from the Kitchen #SundaySupper! Lots of great holiday gift ideas and recipes!
Breads / Breakfast
- Pumpkin Biscoff Bread – Dinners, Dishes, and Dessert
- All-in-One Beer Bread Kit – girlichef
- Banana Coconut Coffee Cake with Macadamia Nut Streusel – The Lovely Pantry
- Pancake Mix With Apple Cider Syrup and Candied Walnuts – Tora’s Real Food
- Cranberry Hootycreeks – Baker Street
Condiments / Ingredients
- Apple Butter – Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Cranberry Strawberry Jam – The Meltaways
- Herb Vinegars – Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Harissa – The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Homemade Vanilla Extract – Flour on my Face
- Homemade Cherry Extract – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Nutella Powder – I Run For Wine
- Apricot Pineapple Rum Sauce – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Spiced Cranberry Apricot Almond Chutney – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pumpkin Butter – Family Foodie
- Orange BBQ Sauce – Mid Life Road Trip
Soup and Snacks
- A Soup For You – Momma’s Meals
- Maple Nut Granola – Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Spicy Curried Nuts – Soni’s Food for Thought
- Sweet and Spicy Pecans – Supper For a Steal
- Maple Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars – Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Orange Spiced Chickpeas – Home Cooking Memories
- Turtle Pretzels – The Messy Baker
- Rocky Road Candy – Magnolia Days
- Dairyfree Vegan Caramels – Galactosemia in PDX
- Peanut Butter Cookies in a Jar – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- M&M Cookies in a Jar – Damn Delicious
- Monster Cookie Mix in a Jar – What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Biscotti – Meal Planning Magic
- Snickerdoodle Snack Mix – Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Butter and Jam Thumbprint Cookies – Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Peppermint Stick Cookie Truffles – The Weekend Gourmet
- Nutella Truffles – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Peanut Cajetas (Peanut Fudge) – Basic and Delicious
- Cookie Cutter Fudge – Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Roll – Shockingly Delicious
- Homemade Chocolates – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Hot Chocolate on a Stick – Spaceships And Laser Beams
- Chocolate Toffee “Crack” – Ruffles and Truffles
- Holiday Tree Cake – Noshing with the Nolands
- Salted Caramel Cookies – Mama Mommy Mom
- Fruit and Nut Cookies – In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Applepie Moonshine – My Catholic Kitchen
- Holiday Spiced Mocha – Daily Dish Recipes
- Homemade Peppermint Mocha Mix – In the Kitchen with KP
- Homemade Kahlua – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper on November 11. In the evening we will meet at 7pm EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat.
All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag or you can follow us through TweetChat.
Leave a Reply