Welcome to Day #5 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting today, Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
Of all the treats during the holidays, the one I usually avoid the most is fudge. It’s not that I don’t like fudge, but it’s just that it’s sooo sweet. I’ll eat a piece or two, but I would be much happier sticking with cookies. Or other candies. But, my family? Most of them think fudge is the best thing ever. So, I make a variety or two and they are happy. And when they’re happy, I’m happy and it’s a win/win.
All this was until I tried Orange Cream Fudge. I can’t even remember who gave it to us, but it was on a plate of assorted treats years ago. I loved the colors of it, and when I took a bite, I had the instant flavor of one of my favorite frozen treats: Orange Creamsicles. Or 50/50 Bars, as we’ve also called them. Now this was my kind of fudge! Yeah, it’s still sweet. So sweet. But that’s ok in this case.
It’s a fairly easy fudge to make. The “hardest” part is getting a nice orange color, but it’s really not that difficult as long as you you add only small amounts of food coloring and don’t go crazy adding a bunch of red food color into it. Speaking of the orange color — while I make this fudge for Christmas, it’s also great at Halloween and I think it’s lovely around Easter time too.
- 3/4 cup butter, cut into pieces (1 1/2 sticks or 12 tablespoons)
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package white chocolate chips (10-12 ounces, whichever you can find)
- 1 jar marshmallow cream (7 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- Red & Yellow Food Coloring
- Line an 8x8" or 9x13" baking pan with foil (the smaller pan with result in taller pieces, the larger size will result in thinner pieces). Spray with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, combine butter, sugar, whipping cream, and salt and heat over medium heat. Stir frequently until sugar is dissolved. When mixture comes to a boil, continue stirring for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips and marshmallow cream. Stir until both are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove 1 cup of mixture and set aside. To the larger amount of mixture, stir in the orange extract and food coloring needed to achieve an orange color. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Place small spoonfuls of the reserved mixture on top of the orange mixture. Drag a butter knife through the white mixture spoonfuls and through the orange mixture to create a marbled look.
- Cover and refrigerate until set. Cut into squares to serve.
--Adapted slightly from Taste of Home
And now, let’s get to the giveaway!
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Freund Container & Supply. Freund Container & Supply has been helping build businesses since 1938 as the largest distributor of glass bottles, containers, and wholesale packaging supplies online. Freund offers over 5,000 items in stock every day, 98% same day shipping, and low-price guarantees. Take a look at Freund’s wide selection of jars, tins, bottles and vials for all your crafting and food related needs!
Today’s winner will receive one $250 Freund gift certificate, as well as one copy of “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays”. To enter, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for one $250 gift certificate to Freund Container & Supply, as well as one copy of “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays”. Gift certificate is a one-time use certificate and must be used in its entirety; any leftover monies on the gift certificate will be forfeited. This giveaway is open to both US and Canadian residents. However, it should be noted that due to current International shipping rates, any Canadian winners will pay higher shipping costs for orders. ***
***Disclaimer: This gift certificate is being provided by Freund Container & Supply, while the cookbook has been provided by Juanita’s Cocina. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Christmas Fudge by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter Cup Fudge by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Peppermint Mocha Tart by See Aimee Cook
- Peanut Brittle by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Cranberry Holiday Margaritas by Pineapple and Coconut
- Turtle Bark by The Girl In The little Red Kitchen
- Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Sauce by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen
- Pomegranate-Ginger Champagne Cocktail by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kletzenbrot – Christmas Fruit Bread from Tyrol by Masala Herb
- Spiked Butterscotch Hot Chocolate by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Frozen Mint Cookie Pie by The Messy Baker
- Stuffed Nut Roll Cookies by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Irish Cream Tiramisu by Cooking In Stilettos
- Lemon Sandwich Cookies by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Orange Creamsicle Fudge by Home Cooking Memories
- Stained Glass Window Cookies by Like Mother Like Daughter
- Eggnog and Cranberry Thumbprints by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter